Royal Maunday

Dr. Arnold Kellett’s research has revealed that the first recorded instance of a Royal Maundy (Royal gifts) took place at Knaresborough on April 15th, 1210. King John gave the traditional gifts to each of thirteen paupers – thirteen pence, one belt, one knife, clothing, and a pair of shoes. The tradition, of course, is still maintained to this day, although the reigning monarch now gives a second purse in lieu of clothing. Dr. Kellett’s evidence for the historic claim for Knaresborough comes from the king’s personal account of his expenses – the Rotulus Misae.