Chapel of Our Lady of the Crag

This wayside shrine was carved out of the rock face near Low Bridge in 1408 by John the Mason. The entrance is guarded by a carved medieval knight, possibly a Knight Templar, whose face has been “restored” in later times! Services occasionally take place but must be held outside as the chapel measures only 12 feet by 8 feet. See also ‘The Will of Thomas Hill’ and the tab labelled ‘The House in the Rock’.